1. Yu H, Wang X, Cao L*, Zhang L, Jia Q, Lee H, Xu Z, Liu G, Xu W, Hu B, and Fox AD. 2017. Are declining populations of wild geese in China “prisoners” of their natural habitats? Current Biology 27(10): 376-377.
2. Zhang L, Wang X, Zhang J, Ouyang Z, Chan S., Crosby M, Watkins D, Martinez J, Su L, Yu Y, Szabo J, Cao L*, and Fox AD. 2017. Formulating a list of sites of waterbird conservation significance to contribute to China’s Ecological Protection Red Line. Bird Conservation International doi:10.1017/S095927091700003X.
3. Jia Q, Cao L*, Ye′sou H, Huber C, Fox AD. 2016. Combating aggressive macrophyte encroachment on a typical Yangtze River lake: lessons from a long-term remote sensing study of vegetation. Aquatic Ecology51:177-189.
4. Zhang Y*, Prins HH., Versluijs M, Wessels R, Cao L*, Willem Frederik de Boer. 2016. Experimental Evidence Shows the Importance of Behavioural Plasticity and Body Size under Competition in Waterfowl. PloS ONE 11(10): e0164606.
5. Yang Y, Zhan A, Cao L*, Meng F, and Xu W. 2016. Selection of a marker gene to construct a reference library for wetland plants, and the application of metabarcoding to analyze the diet of wintering herbivorous waterbirds. Peer J 4: e2345.
6. Yang Y, Deng Y, and Cao L*. 2016. Characterizing the interspecific variations and convergence of gut microbiota in Anseriformes herbivores at wintering areas. Scientific Reports 6:32655.
7. Zhang Y, Prins HH., Cao L*, Zhao M, and de Boer WF. 2016. Variation in Elevation and Sward Height Facilitate Coexistence of Goose Species through Allometric Responses in Wetlands. Waterbirds 39(1):34-44.
8. Zhang Y*, Jia Q, Prins HH., Cao L*, and de Boer WF. 2015. Effect of conservation efforts and ecological variables on waterbird population sizes in wetlands of the Yangtze River. Scientific Reports 5: 17136.
9. Jia Q, Kazuo K., Chang Y, Kim H., Cao L*, Gao D, and Fox, AD. 2015. Population estimates and geographical distribution of swans and geese in East Asia based on counts during the non-breeding season. Bird Conservation International 26: 397-417.
10. Zhang Y, Jia Q, Prins HHT, Cao L*, de Boer WF. 2015. Individual-Area Relationship Best Explains Goose Species Density in Wetlands. PloS ONE 10 (5): e0124972.
11. Zhao M, Cao L*, Klaassen M, Zhang Y, Fox AD. 2015. Avoiding competition? Site use, diet and foraging behaviours in two similarly sized geese wintering in China. Ardea 103: 27-38.
12. Wang X, Fox AD, Zhuang X, Cao L*, Meng F, Cong P. 2014. Shifting to an energy-poor diet for nitrogen? Not the case for wintering herbivorous Lesser White-fronted Geese in China. Journal of Ornithology 155: 707-712.
13. Wang X, Fox AD, Cong P, Cao L*. 2013. Food constraints explain distribution of wintering Lesser White-fronted Geese Anser erythropus in China. Ibis 155: 576-592.